Facebook Connect Follow us on Twitter and win an iPad 3
The National Botanic Gardens

The National Botanic Gardens founded in 1795 by the Dublin Society, is well regarded for its fine plant collections of over 15,000 species from a wide range of habitats from all around the world.

It is famous for its exquisitely restored and planted glasshouses. Guests can visit the herbaceous borders, rose garden, the alpine yard, the pond area, rock garden and arboretum.

Conservation plays an important role in the life of the botanic garden and Glasnevin is home to over 300 endangered plant species from around the world including 6 species, which are already extinct in the wild.

The poet Thomas Tickell owned a house and small estate in Glasnevin and, sold to the Irish Parliament in in 1790, and then given to the Royal Dublin Society for them to establish Ireland's first botanic gardens.

A double line of yew trees, known as "Addison's Walk" still survives from this period. The original objective of the gardens had been to advance knowledge of plants for agriculture, medicine and dyeing. The gardens were the first location in Ireland where the infection responsible for the 1845–1847 potato famine was identified. Throughout the famine, research to stop the infection was undertaken at the gardens.

The National Herbarium is also housed at the National Botanic Gardens. It contains a collection of nearly 750,000 pressed plants, collected over the garden's 200-year history. The gardens contain historically important collections of orchids.